My husband and I thought this was quite good. We used real egg instead of a substitute (we always do) and regular sharp cheddar. It was fast easy and simple to make for the taste and we may make again soon! www.PrintableCouponsandDeals.com has tons of great coupons that could be used on ingredients for this recipe.
Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese with Roasted Tomatoes
In Step 4, the macaroni mixture is cooked over medium-low heat so the cheese won't become stringy and the sauce, grainy.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 357
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 18.1g
- Carbohydrate: 45.2g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 669mg
- Calcium: 350mg
- 3 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces sourdough bread, torn into pieces
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 12 ounces large elbow macaroni
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place tomatoes in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with black pepper. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.
- While tomatoes cook, place bread in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until crumbly. Toss crumbs with melted butter. Sprinkle the crumbs on a baking sheet, and bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently.
- Cook macaroni in boiling water 7 minutes; drain. Return macaroni to pan; place over medium-low heat. Add cheese and remaining ingredients; cook 4 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes. Sprinkle each serving with about 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes