Stout Chocolate Cake
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Degaris Pursell
More From Coastal Living
Cool: 2 Hours
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (11.2- to 12-ounce) bottle dark beer or stout
- Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Garnish: milk, semisweet, or dark chocolate curls
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugars, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- 2. Combine cake flour and next 5 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with beer, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- 3. Bake 25 to 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- 4. Spread Chocolate Ganache Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting on top of cake. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note