- 6 bone-in, skinless chicken pieces (about 4 pounds)
- 2 cups minced yellow onion
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 4 quarts chicken stock, low-sodium chicken broth, or water
- 2 cups finely diced chayote or butternut squash
- 2 cups peeled sweet potato, diced
- 2 medium ears corn, cut into 1/2-inch rounds, or 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh dill sprigs
- 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
How to Make It
Place first 6 ingredients in a large stockpot. (Chicken should be covered by 1 inch of liquid.) Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate, and set aside.
Add squash and next 4 ingredients to pot. Simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are cooked al dente.
Shred chicken, and add to vegetables in pot. Simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is heated through. Remove bay leaf, and discard. Stir in cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with lime wedges.