Your recipe looks soooo tempting. But I have a question as to how many table spoon is 1 package of powdered pectin. The package of pectin I bought was from a bulk store, it's about 6 cups! So can someone please tell me how much one package of powdered fruit pectin equals in tablespoons.
Stone Fruit Preserves
Photo: Becky Luigart Stayner
Yield: Makes about 3 cups
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 26 Minutes
- 4 1/2 cups peeled and diced peaches (about 2 1/2 lb.)*
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (1.75-oz.) package powdered fruit pectin
- 1. Stir together all ingredients in a 4-qt. microwave-safe glass bowl.
- 2. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes (mixture will boil). Stir mixture, and microwave at HIGH 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened. (You're going for the viscosity of pancake syrup here. The mixture will thicken to soft-set preserves after it cools and chills.) Cool mixture completely (about 2 hours). Serve immediately, or cover and chill preserves in an airtight container until ready to serve. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
- *Unpeeled plums or nectarines may be substituted.
- Nectarine-Ginger Preserves: Substitute unpeeled nectarines for peaches. Stir 1/3 cup minced crystallized ginger into nectarine mixture in Step 1. Try It With: Sweet potato biscuits, blueberry pancakes, or praline ice cream.
- Balsamic-Plum Preserves: Substitute balsamic vinegar for lemon juice and unpeeled plums for peaches. Stir 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil into warm preserves. Try It With: Smoked turkey, pulled pork, fried green tomatoes, or warm baked brie.
- Peach-Pepper Preserves: Substitute fresh lime juice for lemon juice. Stir 1 minced jalapeño pepper and 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped, into peach mixture in Step 1. Try It With: Coconut fried shrimp, chicken quesadillas, or ham and fontina panini.
- Tomato-Peach Preserves: Reduce peaches to 2 1/4 cups. Stir 2 1/4 cups seeded and diced plum tomatoes into peach mixture in Step 1. Increase second microwave time to 12 to 16 minutes or until thickened. Stir 1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper into warm preserves. Try It With: Goat cheese crostini, grilled flank steak, or turkey burgers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments