My mother requests this every year for our Christmas morning breakfast. It is absolutely delicious! So much better than store-bought.
Stolle de Noel (Christmas Stollen)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 218
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 33.2g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 213mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- Marinated fruit:
- 1/4 cup kirsch (cherry brandy) or apple juice
- 3 tablespoons candied lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons candied orange peel
- 3 tablespoons candied citron
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- To prepare the marinated fruit, combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl, and let stand 1 hour. Drain the mixture in a sieve over a bowl, reserving the brandy and fruit mixture separately.
- To prepare dough, dissolve yeast and 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 1/2 cups flour, reserved brandy, milk, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup butter, salt, and egg to yeast mixture; beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. Stir in marinated fruit, 1 1/2 cups flour, and almonds. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray; turn to coat top. Cover; let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, about 2 hours. Dough will not double in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)
- Punch dough down; let rest 5 minutes. Roll into a 13 x 8-inch oval on a lightly floured surface. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; fold dough over lengthwise, leaving a 3-inch border. Cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover dough, and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until browned and loaf sounds hollow when tapped; cool. Brush with 1 tablespoon butter; sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads