- Marinated fruit:
- 1/4 cup kirsch (cherry brandy) or apple juice
- 3 tablespoons candied lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons candied orange peel
- 3 tablespoons candied citron
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- calories 218
- caloriesfromfat 24 %
- fat 5.8 g
- satfat 1 g
- monofat 2.7 g
- polyfat 1.6 g
- protein 4.4 g
- carbohydrate 33.2 g
- fiber 1.4 g
- cholesterol 14 mg
- iron 1.6 mg
- sodium 213 mg
- calcium 32 mg
How to Make It
To prepare the marinated fruit, combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl, and let stand 1 hour. Drain the mixture in a sieve over a bowl, reserving the brandy and fruit mixture separately.
To prepare dough, dissolve yeast and 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 1/2 cups flour, reserved brandy, milk, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup butter, salt, and egg to yeast mixture; beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. Stir in marinated fruit, 1 1/2 cups flour, and almonds. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray; turn to coat top. Cover; let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, about 2 hours. Dough will not double in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)
Punch dough down; let rest 5 minutes. Roll into a 13 x 8-inch oval on a lightly floured surface. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; fold dough over lengthwise, leaving a 3-inch border. Cover and let rise 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Uncover dough, and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until browned and loaf sounds hollow when tapped; cool. Brush with 1 tablespoon butter; sprinkle with powdered sugar.