Stir-fry Beef Pot Pie
Notes: You can substitute 1 pound mixed frozen vegetables for fresh.
Yield: Makes 1 pie, 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 484
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 22g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 7.6g
- Carbohydrate: 53g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sodium: 911mg
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- 1 cup medium-grain white rice
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1 pound beef flank steak
- 2 teaspoons olive or salad oil
- 1 pound (about 5 cups) fresh stir-fry vegetable mixture (found in produce section)
- 1 cup green onion pieces (1-in. size)
- 1 unbaked refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of a 15-oz. package), at room temperature
- 1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan, cover rice with 1 2/3 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 15 minutes longer.
- 2. Meanwhile, mix 1 cup broth with oyster sauce, cornstarch, garlic, and chili flakes; set aside. Thinly slice steak across grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Add oil to a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat; when hot, add meat. Cook, stirring constantly, until meat is no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add remaining broth, stir-fry vegetable mixture, and onions. Cook, covered, just until vegetables are bright green, about 3 minutes. Stir seasoned broth into meat mixture; bring to a boil.
- 3. In a bowl, combine rice with meat-vegetable mixture; spoon into a 10-inch pie dish, 9-inch square pan, or 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- 4. Unfold pie crust according to package directions. On a lightly floured board, roll into a 12-inch round for pie dish, or 1 inch larger than dish of another shape. Place over beef and vegetable mixture; fold edges under and flush with pan rim, and flute firmly against rim. Cut shapes from crust and decorate top, or make a couple of decorative slits in crust.
- 5. Bake in a 350° oven until filling is hot in center, about 1 hour. Lay foil over crust if it begins to overbrown. Let cool about 10 minutes; spoon from dish or cut into wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles