Loved it. I substituted mae poi (sweet chile sauce) instead of the chili paste. I also added snap peas and white onion and served it over jasmine rice.
Stir-Fried Shrimp with Spicy Orange Sauce
Neutral-tasting canola oil allows the flavors of orange juice, honey, ginger, and chiles in the sauce to shine. It can also withstand the heat of stir-frying in this tasty take on sweet-and-sour shrimp. Serve over rice or udon noodles.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 301
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 35.3g
- Carbohydrate: 16.8g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 259mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 621mg
- Calcium: 103mg
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- Place shrimp in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch; toss well to coat. Set aside.
- Combine juice, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, and chile paste, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced ginger and garlic to pan; stir-fry for 15 seconds or until fragrant. Add shrimp mixture; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add juice mixture and onions; cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens and shrimp are done, stirring frequently. Serve immediately.
- Wine note: Stir-Fried Shrimp with Spicy Orange Sauce needs a wine with a lot of bold fruit to go up against the "punch" of chiles, ginger, and garlic. My favorite choice, rosé, may be conventional, but wait until you taste a good one. Rosés are fruity (like many red wines) but cool and refreshing (like a white). Try Marqués de Cáceras Rosé 2006 from Rioja, Spain. It's a steal at $8. --Karen MacNeil
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note