Stir-fried Garlic Lettuce (Shoon Chow Saang Choy)
Notes: This dish is similar to a wilted salad; the lettuce should retain some crunch. Serve with the ginger chicken.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 56
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 1.6g
- Fat: 3.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 5.1g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 191mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (1 1/2 lb.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons regular soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Shao Xing rice wine or dry sherry
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1. Rinse and drain lettuce thoroughly. Cut out and discard core. Separate leaves and tear into 3- by 5-inch pieces.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, sesame oil, wine, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- 3. Set a 14-inch wok or 12-inch frying pan over high heat. When hot, add oil and garlic; stir-fry until garlic just begins to brown, about 30 seconds. Add lettuce and stir just until slightly limp but still bright green and somewhat crisp, about 2 minutes (if all the lettuce doesn't fit, add half, stir until slightly wilted--about 30 seconds--then stir in the remaining leaves). Stir in soy sauce mixture. Pour onto a platter and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Stir-fried Garlic Lettuce (Shoon Chow Saang Choy) Recipe at a Glance