- 1 head iceberg lettuce (1 1/2 lb.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons regular soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Shao Xing rice wine or dry sherry
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- calories 56
- caloriesfromfat 59 %
- protein 1.6 g
- fat 3.7 g
- satfat 0.5 g
- carbohydrate 5.1 g
- fiber 1.1 g
- sodium 191 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Rinse and drain lettuce thoroughly. Cut out and discard core. Separate leaves and tear into 3- by 5-inch pieces.
In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, sesame oil, wine, sugar, salt, and pepper.
Set a 14-inch wok or 12-inch frying pan over high heat. When hot, add oil and garlic; stir-fry until garlic just begins to brown, about 30 seconds. Add lettuce and stir just until slightly limp but still bright green and somewhat crisp, about 2 minutes (if all the lettuce doesn't fit, add half, stir until slightly wilted--about 30 seconds--then stir in the remaining leaves). Stir in soy sauce mixture. Pour onto a platter and serve immediately.