Stir-Fried Chicken with Chinese Cabbage
A simple sauce of garlic, hot pepper, sherry, wine vinegar, and tomato, adds intense flavor to this quick stir-fry and it practically makes itself while the chicken and cabbage cook. Steamed rice is an ideal accompaniment.
- 1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1/2 head Chinese cabbage (about 1 pound), sliced
- 3/4 cup drained sliced water chestnuts (from one 8-ounce can)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or scallion tops
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken with the 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the sherry, and the cayenne. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderately high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until almost done, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove.
- 3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the onion, garlic, and coriander. Cook, stirring, until the onions are golden, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sherry and the vinegar. Cook, stirring, 1 minute longer.
- 4. Add the cabbage, water chestnuts, the remaining 4 teaspoons soy sauce, the tomato paste, red-pepper flakes, and water and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes longer. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, the cilantro, and the salt and cook, stirring, until the chicken is just done, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Wine Recommendation: You need a straightforward white wine with plenty of acidity to survive the garlic, soy sauce, and hot pepper in this dish. A chenin blanc from the Loire Valley in France, particularly from Vouvray, Saumur, or Anjou, will be able to hold its own.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This