Stir-Fried Chicken and Asian Greens
Notes: Add chicken to stir-fried greens and you have a quick one-pan meal. Serve with hot cooked rice.
Yield: Makes 3 or 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 170
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 23g
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 6.1g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 402mg
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- 12 ounces boned, skinned chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3/4 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pound bok choy, yao choy, or Chinese mustard greens
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut crosswise into strips about 1/8 inch thick and 2 to 3 inches long. In a bowl, mix chicken with sherry. In another small bowl, mix broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and white pepper.
- 2. Remove and discard any yellow, damaged, or tough leaves from 1 pound Asian greens. Trim off and discard tough stem ends. For tough stalks, remove any thick side stems attached to center stalk; discard center stalk and use stems. Rinse well.
- For bok choy: Cut leaves and stalks diagonally or crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices; separate leaves from stalks.
- For Chinese mustard or yao choy: Trim stalk ends, especially if fibrous (a white, woody center is an indication). If skin on stalks is tough, peel off and discard. Cut greens into 3-inch lengths, separating leaves and thin stems from thicker stems or stalks. If any pieces are thicker than 1/2 inch, cut to that thickness.
- 3. Set a 14- to 16-inch wok or 12-inch frying pan over high heat. When hot, stir in the thick stem pieces and 3 tablespoons water. Cover and cook until pieces are tender-crisp to bite, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the leaves and thin stems and stir until leaves are barely wilted, 1 to 2 minutes; pour mixture into a bowl.
- 4. Return pan to high heat. When it's hot and any liquid has evaporated, add oil, garlic, and ginger; stir until garlic begins to brown, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and stir until no longer pink in the center (cut to test), 2 to 3 minutes. Stir broth mixture and add to pan; stir until boiling. Return greens to pan and stir until hot. Add salt to taste and pour into a serving bowl.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note