I loved the flavors in this dish, the chewiness of the mushrooms, and texture of the bok choy. It would be wonderful served over brown rice. Unfortunately, this was a rare dish my hubbie wasn't very fond of. Bummer!
Stir-Fried Bok Choy and Lettuce with Mushrooms
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 105
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 15.5g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 468mg
- Calcium: 463mg
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms (about 2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing (Chinese rice wine) or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 heads baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
- 1. Combine 1 cup boiling water and shiitake mushrooms in a bowl; cover and let stand 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid. Rinse mushrooms. Remove and discard stems; cut each cap into quarters. Set aside.
- 2. Combine soy sauce, wine, and sugar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 3. Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil and ginger to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Add reserved mushrooms; sauté 1 minute. Add reserved mushroom liquid and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- 4. Combine oyster sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk; stir into mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- 5. Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add garlic; stir-fry 10 seconds. Add bok choy; stir-fry 2 minutes or until bok choy begins to soften. Add lettuce; stir-fry 2 minutes or until lettuce wilts. Stir in mushroom mixture and soy sauce mixture; cook 3 minutes or until bok choy is tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Stir-Fried Bok Choy and Lettuce with Mushrooms Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Appetizers
Food & Wine