I found this sauce to be a nice change from (but not to take the place of) the traditional BBQ sauce. It is a little sweet, but does nicely with pork and chicken. It will likely do well with beef too. It is certainly worth trying. The recipe does not say which rum, I used Captain Morgan "Black" and I was obviously satisfied. For the "Jerk Seasnoing Blend" I used the Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Blend found here on "My Recipes." http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/jamaican-jerk-seasoning-blend-50400000113957/ The recipe leaves an open door for change. I like a little more heat, so I added some Chipotle pepper which also adds more smoke flavor. I may try adding Balsamic Vinegar just to see what different directions the sauce can go. Also, I did smoke the ribs first, then basted and grilled with this sauce to finish. No doubt that this recipe will be saved and used again. Thanks Julia for contributing the recipe. TRY IT!!!
Sticky Rum BBQ Sauce
Photo: Jennifer Davick
- 1 cup firmly packed dark or light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat, and let cool; refrigerate, covered, up to 2 weeks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note