Sticky Pecan Caramel Rolls
This crowd-pleaser was our first attempt to make dessert from stored bread dough. It was so successful that it reshaped our view of what this technique could accomplish. The flavors were enhanced by using stored dough, and the butter and sugar seeped into the folds, approximating enriched sweet doughs.
- 1 1Ã¢ÂÂ2 pounds pre-mixed boule dough
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch(s) ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 30 pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 4 tablespoon(s) salted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) toasted pecans, chopped
- 6 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, softened
- 1. Cream together the butter, salt and brown sugar. Spread evenly in a 9-inch cake pan. Scatter the pecan halves over the mixture and set aside.
- 2. Dust the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a cantaloupe-sized piece. Dust the piece with flour and shape it into a ball following the method in Step 5 of The Master Recipe (above).
- 3. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a 1/8-inch thick rectangle. Add only enough flour to prevent it from sticking.
- 4. Cream together the butter, sugar and spices for the filling. Spread evenly over the dough and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Roll the dough into a log. If itâs too soft to cut, chill for 20 minutes.
- 5. With a serrated knife, cut the log into 8 pieces and arrange over the pecans, with the âswirledâ edge facing up. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rest and rise 1 hour (or 40 minutes if youâre using fresh, unrefrigerated dough).
- 6. 5 minutes before baking time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 7. Bake about 40 minutes, or until golden brown and set in center. While still hot, run a knife around the pan to release the rolls, and invert immediately onto a serving dish.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MartinWarr and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sticky Pecan Caramel Rolls Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts