- About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1 sourdough baguette (8 oz.), cut diagonally in 1-inch-thick slices
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half (light cream)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- calories 461
- caloriesfromfat 51 %
- protein 12 g
- fat 26 g
- satfat 11 g
- carbohydrate 46 g
- fiber 1.6 g
- sodium 418 mg
- cholesterol 221 mg
How to Make It
Lightly butter a 9- by 13-inch pan. Lay baguette slices on a cut side in a single layer in pan, squeezing if needed to make them fit. In a blender or in a bowl with a whisk, whirl or beat eggs, half-and-half, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla to blend well. Pour egg mixture over bread to moisten evenly. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 or up to 24 hours.
In a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup butter with brown sugar, corn syrup, and pecans until butter melts. Uncover bread mixture and spread slices evenly with the butter mixture, using all of it.
Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven until topping is browned and bubbly, about 45 minutes. Scoop portions into bowls.