Steel-Cut Oatmeal with Toasted Pecans and Caramelized Bananas
The flax seed meal adds nuttiness, crunch, and even more nutrition.
Yield: Serves 2
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 428
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Protein: 6.9g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Sodium: 191mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- About 1 1/2 tbsp. roasted pecan oil* or other nut oil, divided
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oatmeal, such as McCann's Irish
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal*
- 1 large or 2 small ripe (brown-flecked) bananas, sliced 1/4 in. thick
- About 1 1/2 tbsp. honey, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans
- 1. Boil 2 1/2 cups water in a saucepan. Stir in salt and 1/2 tbsp. oil, then oats. Cook, stirring, until oats start to thicken and look creamy, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until oats are thick and very creamy, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in flax seed meal.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add bananas and cook until translucent at edges, about 3 minutes. Flip with a spatula, drizzle with 1 tbsp. honey, and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 1 minute more.
- 3. Stir 1/2 tbsp. honey into oatmeal. Pour into 2 bowls; stir in more oil and some nuts. Top with bananas and more pecans.
- *Find nut oil and flax seed meal at natural-foods and well-stocked grocery stores.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note