Steamed Fresh Artichokes
Table talk: We tested a fancy steaming mixture that had about 10 ingredients, including wine, but found this simple mixture that calls for lemon and garlic imparts great flavor for a lower cost.
More From Southern Living
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 5 fresh parsley sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 fresh artichokes (about 3/4 lb. each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Buttery Dipping Sauces:
- Balsamic-Apricot Butter
- Peppy Basil Butter
- Mayo Mixtures:
- Chipotle-Lime Mayo
- Garlic-Lemon Mayo
- Herb-Shallot Mayo
- Pepperoncini Mayo
- Garnish: fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1. Combine lemon, next 3 ingredients, and 2 1/2 cups water in large Dutch oven. Place a steamer basket in Dutch oven.
- 2. Wash artichokes by plunging up and down in cold water. Cut off stem ends, and trim about 1 inch from top of each artichoke, using a serrated knife. Remove any loose bottom leaves. Trim one-fourth off top from each outer leaf, using kitchen shears.
- 3. Arrange artichokes in steamer basket. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until stem end is easily pierced with a long wooden pick. Remove artichokes from Dutch oven.
- 4. Carefully pull open center leaves of artichokes. Remove and discard choke using a long spoon. Serve with Buttery Dipping Sauces or Mayo Mixtures.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note