Very good for such a simple meal. Steaming the fish on top of the veggies made it moist and flavorful. Even the kids loved this!
Steamed Fish with Ratatouille
Dinner is ready--thanks to this one-dish meal of Steamed Fish with Ratatouille. The vegetables--zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, tomatoes, and onion--create a built-in side dish with the steamed fish.
More From Health
- Calories: 317
- Fat: 12.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 34g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 398mg
- Calcium: 87mg
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided, and more as needed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup Niçoise or kalamata olives, pitted (optional)
- 4 thick fish fillets or steaks, such as cod (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1. Trim and cut the zucchini and eggplants into 1-inch chunks. Cut the bell pepper into strips. Roughly chop the tomatoes, reserving their juice.
- 2. Put 2 TBSP oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and immediately add the garlic. When it begins to sizzle, add the onion and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften (3-5 minutes).
- 3. Add the zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, and another pinch of salt and pepper. Lower the heat a bit to keep the vegetables from burning, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is fairly soft (10-15 minutes). Add the tomatoes and their juice, the thyme, and the olives if you're using them; cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down (5-10 minutes). Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- 4. Sprinkle the fish with a pinch of salt and pepper and lay it on top of the vegetables. Adjust the heat so the mixture simmers. Cover and cook until the fish is opaque throughout and a paring knife inserted into the fish at its thickest point meets little resistance. This will take anywhere from 5-12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- 5. Transfer the fish to a platter, then stir the basil into the vegetables. Spoon the vegetables around the fish, drizzle everything with the remaining 1 TBSP olive oil, and serve.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note