- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces Spanish chorizo* or chub pepperoni, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces small Padrón peppers (1 in. long; about 3 cups packed) or 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 3 wide strips lemon zest (about 1 in. by 2 in.)
- 5 pounds littleneck clams (about 4 1/2 dozen), scrubbed
- 2/3 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- Toasted baguette or other crusty bread
- calories 456
- caloriesfromfat 57 %
- protein 28 g
- fat 30 g
- satfat 8.9 g
- carbohydrate 13 g
- fiber 0.8 g
- sodium 362 mg
- cholesterol 91 mg
How to Make It
Heat oil and butter in a wide 8- to 9-qt. pot over medium-high heat. Add chorizo, shallots, garlic, Padrón peppers, and lemon zest and cook until shallots soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add clams, wine, and 1/2 cup water, then cover and boil, stirring once or twice, until clams open, 8 to 10 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open.
Ladle the dish into bowls and serve with bread.
*Find at well-stocked supermarkets and at spanishtable.com.