This is a great make-ahead appetizer for a summer party. The dip is actually better the next day. I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and a bit of extra lemon. Guest ate every last bite.
Steamed Asparagus and Green Beans With Fresh Lemon-Basil Dip
Photo: Tina Cornett; Styling: Cari South
Yield: Makes about 25 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds fresh asparagus
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- Garnish: fresh basil leaves
- 1. Whisk together first 5 ingredients until blended. Cover and chill.
- 2. Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Cook asparagus in boiling water to cover 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
- 3. Cook beans in boiling water to cover 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
- 4. Cover and chill vegetables until ready to serve with dip. Garnish dip with fresh basil, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note