Steak with Sautéed Fennel and Olives
Photo: Kan Kanbayashi
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Real Simple
Other: 5 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 360
- Protein: 94g
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Sugars: 0g
- Fiber: 4g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Sodium: 636mg
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1-inch-thick strip steaks (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 medium bulbs fennel, thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon fronds
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives (preferably oil cured)
- 1 jalapeño (preferably red), seeded and thinly sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steaks with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook to the desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the fennel and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned and just tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Stir in the olives and jalapeño and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with the fennel fronds and serve with the sliced steak.
Upgrade: Add color and a sweet shot of citrus by mixing orange segments into the sautéed fennel just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This