Steak and Watermelon Radish Sandwiches
A watermelon radish is, on first glance, a plain greenish-white root. But slice it open and it reveals a stunning fuchsia interior. They're also known as red-meat or beauty-heart radishes, and you can find seeds at Kitazawa Seed Company (kitazawaseed.com). For this sandwich, we took a a classic combination--radishes and butter--and paired them with steak for a juicy, crunchy sandwich.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 528
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated fat: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 580mg
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 pound flank steak
- 4 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- 8 slices caraway rye bread
- Baby arugula leaves
- 2 watermelon radishes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1. Put oil, garlic, and steak in a medium bowl and turn to coat. Let marinate 20 minutes at room temperature. Mix together butter and chives; set aside.
- 2. Prepare grill for high heat (450° to 550°). Grill meat, turning once, until grill marks appear and meat is cooked the way you like, 8 minutes for medium rare. Cover with foil and let rest 10 minutes, then slice thinly across the grain.
- 3. Spread one side of bread slices with butter mixture. Layer 4 slices with arugula, some sliced steak, and slices of radish. Top with remaining bread slices.
Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note