This is my go-to winter soup. It is a family favorite..warm and soothing.
Steak and Two Potato Soup
Men fancy this soup. Tender chunks of steak are joined by potatoes and Cheddar cheese in a creamy base. One-Hour Wild Rice-Parmesan Rolls make a nice dipping bread.
Yield: 10 cups
- 1 1/2 pounds lean boneless round steak, cut into 1
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken or beef broth
- 2 cups water, divided
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 3/4
- 1 medium-size sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; brown beef in batches in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove beef from pan; set aside. Add celery and onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Return beef to pan; add broth and 1 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Add Yukon Gold potato to pan; cook, covered, 10 minutes. Add sweet potato; cook 20 minutes or until beef and potatoes are tender.
- Combine flour and remaining 1/4 cup water, stirring until smooth. Gradually stir into meat mixture; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in cream; cook 5 more minutes. Stir in cheese and, if desired, herbs; cook 1 minute or until cheese melts. Sprinkle each serving with freshly ground pepper just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note