This is my go-to winter soup. It is a family favorite..warm and soothing.
Steak and Two Potato Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds lean boneless round steak, cut into 1
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken or beef broth
- 2 cups water, divided
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 3/4
- 1 medium-size sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; brown beef in batches in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove beef from pan; set aside. Add celery and onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Return beef to pan; add broth and 1 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Add Yukon Gold potato to pan; cook, covered, 10 minutes. Add sweet potato; cook 20 minutes or until beef and potatoes are tender.
- Combine flour and remaining 1/4 cup water, stirring until smooth. Gradually stir into meat mixture; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in cream; cook 5 more minutes. Stir in cheese and, if desired, herbs; cook 1 minute or until cheese melts. Sprinkle each serving with freshly ground pepper just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews