- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- calories 344
- fat 12.5 g
- satfat 5.3 g
- monofat 4.2 g
- polyfat 1.2 g
- protein 27.3 g
- carbohydrate 28.7 g
- fiber 1.7 g
- cholesterol 95 mg
- iron 4.3 mg
- sodium 538 mg
- calcium 28 mg
How to Make It
Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
While noodles cook, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steak; sauté 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan; cover.
Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in soy sauce. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Add pepper, salt, and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Discard thyme sprigs. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.
Briefly cooking the gravy with thyme sprigs saves the time of stripping the tiny leaves from the stem, but still gives you the herb's woodsy flavor.