Steak Tacos with Simple Guacamole
Most of the fat in this recipe is the good-for-you monounsaturated kind in the avocado, so don't let it deter (or disturb) you.
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 2 tortillas, 1/3 cup meat, 2/3 cup onion mixture, 2 tablespoons guacamole)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 490
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 10g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 30g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 7g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Sodium: 535mg
- Calcium: 116mg
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed through a garlic press)
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) flank steak, fat trimmed
- 3 cups vertically sliced onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 2 cups red and yellow bell pepper strips (about 2 large peppers)
- 2 jalapeño peppers (or 1 serrano pepper), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced, with seeds
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or pressed through a garlic press)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- To prepare steak, combine 1 teaspoon oil and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a bowl. Rub steak with garlic-oil mixture; place in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal; marinate in the refrigerator 1 hour, or overnight.
- Lightly spray the rack of an outdoor grill with cooking spray. Heat to medium-high.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño; sauté 5 minutes (A). Keep warm.
- Place the steak on the grill, and cook 4 minutes on each side (without turning) for medium, or to desired degree of doneness (B). Let stand 10 minutes on a cutting board before slicing crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices.
- To prepare guacamole, combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and mix well, mashing with a pestle (C) or fork until mixture is chunky.
- Heat the tortillas in a covered casserole in a 300° oven until warm and pliable. Place a small amount of meat in each tortilla; top with the onion-pepper mixture and guacamole.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Steak Tacos with Simple Guacamole Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This