This was DELICIOUS! I loved the aioli and the pickled onion! They really added flavor to the sandwich. I will definitely make this again.
Steak Sandwiches with Pickled Onion and Herb Aioli
Principle 17: Herbs, garlic, and lemon juice combine with mayo for a sauce that makes the sandwich. Some other favorite secret-sauce ideas to mix with 1/4 cup canola mayo: 1 tablespoon pesto; 1 tablespoon Sriracha; 1 tablespoon grated onion and 1 teaspoon chopped capers; or 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon lime juice, and 1 minced garlic clove.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 40 Minutes
- Calories: 403
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 30g
- Carbohydrate: 43.4g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 677mg
- Calcium: 39mg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) French bread baguette
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until boiling. Stir in onion. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. Combine mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients (through garlic).
- 4. Rub steak evenly with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place steak on grill rack; grill 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from grill; let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak across the grain into thin slices.
- 5. Cut baguette in half lengthwise. Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Place bread, cut sides down, on grill rack; grill 1 minute or until toasted.
- 6. Drain onion mixture; discard liquid. Arrange steak evenly over bottom half of baguette; top evenly with onion and arugula. Spread mayonnaise mixture over cut side of top baguette half; place on sandwich. Cut into 4 pieces.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note