Seared Steak with Potato-Artichoke Hash
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Buffy Hargett
For easier grill management and faster cooking, cut larger steaks into two pieces.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (1 1/2- to 1 3/4-lb.) flank, skirt, or tri-tip steak
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (22-oz.) package frozen potato wedges, thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 1 (9-oz.) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1. Stir together brown sugar and next 3 ingredients. Rub steak with sugar mixture, and let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a cast-iron grill pan over high heat. Add steak; cook, turning once, until seared, 12-16 minutes for medium-rare. Remove from skillet; cover loosely with aluminum foil. (Alternatively, cook steak on gas or charcoal grill.)
- 3. Meanwhile, cook potatoes in remaining 3 Tbsp. hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from skillet.
- 4. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in skillet. Add onion; cook, stirring often, 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add artichokes and garlic; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, next 2 ingredients, potatoes, and remaining 1 Tbsp. butter; cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices, and serve with potato mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: We tested with Alexia All Natural Oven Reds with Olive Oil, Parmesan & Roasted Garlic potatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note