- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 (28-ounce) can unsalted whole tomatoes, undrained
- 4 (1-inch-thick) slices ciabatta bread (about 5 ounces)
- 2 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
- calories 379
- fat 15.8 g
- satfat 4.8 g
- monofat 8.1 g
- polyfat 1.1 g
- protein 32.9 g
- carbohydrate 28.7 g
- fiber 2.8 g
- cholesterol 84 mg
- iron 5.7 mg
- sodium 663 mg
- calcium 189 mg
How to Make It
Preheat broiler to high.
Heat a large skillet over high heat. Combine steak and 1 teaspoon oil in a large bowl; toss to coat. Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add steak to pan; cook for 2 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove steak from pan.
Reduce heat to medium-high. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds. Add oregano, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and tomatoes. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes, mashing tomato mixture with a potato masher. Return steak to pan, and toss to coat.
Place bread on a baking sheet; broil 1 minute or until lightly toasted. Spoon tomato mixture evenly over bread slices; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. Sprinkle with basil.