Steak and Mushroom Sandwiches
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 373
- Fat: 13.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Protein: 27.1g
- Carbohydrate: 34.9g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 832mg
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Calcium: 122mg
- 2 medium onions
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can condensed beef consommé, undiluted
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 (8-ounce) loaf French bread, about
- 16 inches long
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- Dice enough onion to yield 1/4 cup. Slice remaining onion to yield 2 cups; separate slices into rings.
- Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir well, and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add diced onion, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add cornstarch mixture, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and consommé; bring to a boil. Cook sauce 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Preheat broiler.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- While steak cooks, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms; sauté 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid evaporates. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Slice bread in half lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Carefully open bread without separating the halves. Place, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Place steak slices and vegetables on bottom half of bread; sprinkle cheese evenly over vegetables. Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Close sandwich, and cut into 5 equal portions. Serve immediately with warm dipping sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches