I was weary of the dish being 'too watery' or 'too dry'.. However, it turned out fantastic. I added 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water to the mixture. We have a vegetarian in the family, so I made half of the casserole bacon-free. The flavor still came out good without the bacon. I used medium sized shell pasta, and it worked out great to catch the blue cheese chunks. I will make again for a potluck.
Steak House Side Mac and Cheese
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Total: 50 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 347
- Fat: 15.4g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 15.5g
- Carbohydrate: 40.9g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 553mg
- Calcium: 160mg
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces uncooked whole-wheat penne pasta or macaroni
- 3 bacon slices
- 10 ounce mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (5-ounce) packages fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Coat 2-quart glass or ceramic baking dish with 1 teaspoon oil. Set aside.
- 3. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil; add salt and pasta. Cook for 6 minutes or until just barely tender. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl; reserve 1 cup cooking liquid.
- 4. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan; crumble bacon. Add mushrooms to drippings in pan; cook for 8 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add pepper, garlic, and spinach (in batches); cook 3 minutes or until spinach wilts, tossing occasionally.
- 5. Combine yogurt and cheese in a large bowl, stirring until almost smooth. Add pasta and mushroom mixture; toss to combine. Stir in 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid (or more if mixture looks dry). Spoon pasta mixture into prepared dish. Combine crumbled bacon, panko, and parsley. Drizzle with remaining 3 teaspoons oil; toss to combine. Sprinkle evenly over top of pasta. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note