Steak and Fingerling Potato Kabobs
Low in starch with a creamy texture and paper-thin skin, fingerlings hold their shape when grilled. Parboiling jump-starts the cooking process, so they take on a crispy finish just about the time the steak is done.
More From Southern Living
Total: 4 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 14 (8-inch) wooden or metal skewers, divided
- 16 small fingerling potatoes, halved
- 2 pounds boneless rib-eye, tri-tip, or flank steaks, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Béarnaise Vinaigrette, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup firmly packed baby arugula
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, torn
- 3 teaspoons drained capers
- 1. Soak 8 wooden skewers in water 30 minutes. (Omit if using metal skewers.)
- 2. Meanwhile, bring potatoes and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; cook 10 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Drain.
- 3. Combine steak and 1/2 cup vinaigrette in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Thread 8 potato halves onto 1 double set of skewers (2 skewers side-by-side), leaving a 1/8-inch space between pieces; repeat with 3 double sets of skewers and remaining potatoes. Cut 4 to 8 crosswise slits 1/4 inch deep on top of each potato. Combine potatoes and 1/2 cup vinaigrette in another large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Seal bags, and chill 3 hours, turning occasionally.
- 4. Meanwhile, soak remaining 6 wooden skewers in water 30 minutes. (Omit if using metal skewers.)
- 5. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Remove steak and potatoes from marinades, discarding marinades. Thread steak onto 6 skewers, leaving a 1/8-inch space between pieces. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt and pepper.
- 6. Grill potatoes and steak at the same time, covered with grill lid, 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until steak reaches desired degree of doneness and potatoes are golden brown, basting potatoes and steak with melted butter with each turn.
- 7. Toss together arugula, next 5 ingredients, and 2 Tbsp. vinaigrette. Serve kabobs with arugula salad and remaining vinaigrette.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note