I would strongly disagree with the preparation directions in this recipe. It is a simple fact that mushrooms give off a lot of moisture and take longer to saute than peppers and onions. Therefore, I sauteed the mushrooms first, removed them from the pan; and then added a bit more oil and sauteed the peppers and onions together (more forgiving than mushrooms). Otherwise, you end up steaming the veggies and no flavor. We also splashed some Worcestershire on the steak prior to cooking, grilled it whole, and then sliced after a few minutes resting. (Adding beef to veggies is recipe for an overcrowded pan and no searing.) The four stars reflects the modifications I described above. Otherwise, I can understand the lower ratings. Served with baked chips and raw veggies to dip in CL's Sour Cream and Onion Dip (Aug 2013).
Steak and Cheese Sandwiches with Mushrooms
Serve baked potato chips and coleslaw with these stick-to-your-ribs sandwiches for a quick and casual supper.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 384
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 32.9g
- Carbohydrate: 44.9g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- Iron: 4.7mg
- Sodium: 580mg
- Calcium: 231mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups presliced onion
- 2 cups green bell pepper strips
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 cup presliced mushrooms
- 3/4 pound top round steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 (0.6-ounce) slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, cut in half
- 4 (2 1/2-ounce) hoagie rolls with sesame seeds
- 1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Sprinkle beef with salt and black pepper. Add beef to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in Worcestershire sauce; cook 1 minute.
- 2. Place 1 cheese slice half on bottom half of each roll, and top each serving with one-fourth of beef mixture. Top with remaining cheese slice halves and tops of rolls.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This