Stawberry or Apricot Croissants
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (105º to 115º)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon strawberry or apricot preserves
- Combine yeast, 1 tablespoon sugar, water in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat milk to 105º to 115º. Combine yeast mixture, warm milk, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 cups flour, and next 3 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat mixture at medium speed with an electric mixter until smooth. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and kneed until smooth and eleastic (about 10 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85º), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill dough 1 hour.
- Punch dough dow; turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll into a 24-x10-inch rectangle. Place chilled butter rectangle in center of dough rectangle, and carefully fold dough over butter. Pinch edges to seal.
- Roll dough into a 18X10-inch rectangle; fold into thirds, beginning with short side. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Repeat rolling and folding procedure twice, chilling dough 30 minutes each time. Wrap dough in aluminum foil, and chill 8 hours.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Roll 1 portion into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface, and cut into 6 wedges (keep remaining dough chilled). Spread 1 teaspoon strawberry or apricot preserves evenly over each dough wedge. Roll up each wedge tightly, beginning at wide end. Place, point side down, on greased baking sheets, gently curving rolls into crescent shapes. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Spread 1 teaspoon strawberry or apricot preserves evenly over each dough wedge, leaving a 1/4-inch border; roll up.
- Bake at 425º for 8 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool croissants slightly on baking sheets, and transfer to wire racks to cool. Repeat procedure with remaining dough portions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note