Statehouse Oyster Chowder
Yield: about 2 quarts
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup peeled, diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (12-ounce) containers Standard oysters, drained
- Cook bacon in a small Dutch oven until crisp; remove bacon, discarding drippings. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble and set aside.
- Place water, corn, celery, carrots, potatoes, onion, and reserved bacon in Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup milk and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring well. Add cornstarch mixture, remaining milk, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, salt, oregano, and pepper to vegetables in Dutch oven; stir well. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, over high heat 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in oysters; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Serve immediately in warm bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews