Stars-and-Stripes Cherry Pie
Break out your red, white, and blue; this patriotic cherry pie is topped with stars and stripes, making it the perfect end-of-dinner treat on July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, or just about any other night on which you want to celebrate the USA. Have a slice and enjoy.
More From Coastal Living
- 3 (12-ounce) packages frozen tart red cherries, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until well blended. Let stand 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, place 1 piecrust in a shallow 9-inch pie plate; trim edges. Cut three-fourths of remaining piecrust into strips. Cut remaining one-fourth piecrust with a 2-inch star cutter.
- 3. Spoon cherry mixture into pie plate. Arrange pastry strips and stars on top of filling. Brush pastry with beaten egg.
- 4. Bake pie, on a foil-lined baking sheet, 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 55 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is browned. (Shield edges with aluminum foil, if necessary, to prevent excessive browning.)
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note