Not only are these s'mores patriotic, they are customizable. We like having a mix of chocolate bars on hand so guests have a choice. In addition to Norway's Freia milk chocolate, you could also try Ghirardelli dark chocolate with caramel, Ritter Sport praline, and Perugina cappuccino.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1.5 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) whole-wheat flour
- 0.5 cup(s) toasted wheat germ
- 0.5 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 2 stick(s) butter softened
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 0.25 cup(s) light brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoon(s) honey
- 8 ounce(s) chocolate broken into small pieces
- 16 clean twigs or skewers
- 32 marshmallows
- 1. Cookies: Whisk together
- flours, wheat germ, salt, baking
- soda, and cinnamon.
- 2. Beat together butter, sugar,
- and honey with a mixer on medium
- speed until pale and fluffy,
- 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down
- sides of bowl as needed. Reduce
- speed to low. Add flour mixture;
- beat until combined.
- 3. Turn out dough onto a floured
- surface, and divide in half. Roll
- out each dough half to 'Is-inch
- thickness, and refrigerate until
- firm, about 10 minutes. Preheat
- oven to 350°. Cut out squares
- with a 3-inch fluted square cutter.
- Cut a star out of the center of
- half the cookies using a 1112-inch
- star cutter. Reroll scraps once,
- and repeat.
- 4. Place squares 1 inch apart on
- parchment-lined baking sheets,
- keeping cookies with cutouts
- together. Refrigerate until very
- firm, about 15 minutes.
- 5. Bake cookies until dark brown,
- 14 to 16 minutes, rotating halfway
- through (star cookies take
- about 1 minute less). Let cool
- on sheets 10 minutes. Cookies
- can be stored in an airtight container
- up to 2 days.
- 6. S'mores: Preheat grill on high
- (if using a charcoal grill, coals
- are ready when you can hold your
- hand 5 inches above grill for
- just 2 seconds) or build a campfire.
- Divide chocolate among
- cookies without cutouts. Skewer
- marshmallows; toast over grill
- or fire, rotating, until gooey in
- center and nicely charred, about
- 2 minutes. Remove marshmallows
- from skewers; place 2 on
- each chocolate-topped cookie.
- Sandwich each with a cutout
- star cookie; press gently. Let sit
- 2 minute to melt chocolate.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JanetDMiller and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
STAR S'MORES Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts