Star Anise and Tangerine-Roasted Cornish Hens
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 212
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 33.1g
- Carbohydrate: 5.6g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 146mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 479mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- 1 tablespoon grated tangerine rind
- 1/2 cup fresh tangerine juice (about 3 tangerines)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 3 star anise
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, halved and cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 2 (1 1/2-pound) Cornish hens
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in 1/2 cup broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 7 minutes). Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Separate onion slices, and place them in an even layer in the bottom of a shallow roasting pan.
- Remove and discard giblets and necks from hens. Remove skin; trim excess fat. Working with 1 hen at a time, tie ends of legs together with cord. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under hen. Set hens, breast side up, on top of onion slices; brush tops and sides of hens with broth mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup broth to pan. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until thermometer registers 165°. Remove from oven, and transfer hens to a cutting board or work surface. Keep warm.
- Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into zip-top bag; discard solids. Let reserved drippings stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a small saucepan, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Bring drippings to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced to 3 tablespoons (about 5 minutes).
- Split hens in half lengthwise. Place one hen half on each of 4 plates; drizzle each serving with 2 teaspoons drippings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This