Star Anise and Ginger Tuna Confit
More From Sunset
Chill: 4 Hours
Amount per serving
- Calories: 350
- Calories from fat: 71%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 2.4g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 588mg
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- 2 small shallots, divided
- 1-in.-long piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, divided
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. whole albacore tuna loin, cut crosswise into 1-in.-thick slices
- 5 wide strips orange zest (from 1 orange; use a vegetable peeler)
- 4 star anise pods
- 6 large cilantro sprigs
- 3/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup mild, fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- 1. Mince 1 shallot, half of ginger, and 2 garlic cloves, then mix with five-spice powder, pepper, and salt. Rub paste all over tuna slices, layer them in a 4- by 8-in. baking dish, cover, and chill 4 to 5 hours.
- 2. Preheat oven to 275°. Quarter remaining shallot lengthwise and add to baking dish. Crush remaining 2 garlic cloves and add to dish, along with orange zest, star anise, remaining ginger, the cilantro, grapeseed oil, and just enough olive oil to cover fish by 1/4 in.
- 3. Bake tuna 25 minutes, uncovered. Let tuna cool to room temperature in oil.
- Make ahead: Up to 10 days, chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/2 cup tuna without oil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This