Standing Rib Roast
Community Recipe from
- For the roast, combine:
- 1/2 cup(s) country dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) coriander ground
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon ground
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) allspice ground
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cumin ground
- 11 pound(s) beef rib roast, 4 bone in/chine bone removed frenched
- For the sauce, heat:
- 3 cup(s) dry red wine divided
- 3 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter divided
- 1/4 cup(s) shallots minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1 sprig(s) fresh thyme
- Whisk in:
- 1 tablespoon(s) demi-glace purchased
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sugar
- Preheat over to 450 with rack in lower third
- For the roast, combine mustard, garlic, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp pepper, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, cumin, and cloves in a small bowl. Place roast in a shallow roasting pan, bone side down.
- Roast the rib roast 30 min, remove from oven, and spread all but 1 Tbsp mustard mixture over the top. Reduce over temp to 325, return roast to over, and continue roasting until instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 125 for medium-rare or 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Transfer roast to a carving board, tent with foil, and let rest 30 min. Pour drippings into a dish; set aside.
- For the sauce, heat roasting pan over medium-high until brown bits dry (1 min). Deglaze pan with 1/2 cup wine, scraping up bits; transfer to a separate bowl.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a sauce-pan over medium heat until foamy. Add shallots; sweat until soft. Add deglazed bits and tomato paste; cook until thick (4-5 min). Whisk in reserved 1 Tbsp mustard mixture, remaining 2 1/2 cups wine, and thyme; bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to 1 cup strained (about 15 min). Return sauce to sauce-pan over medium heat and discard solids.
- Whisk in demi-glace and sugar; simmer until demi-glace dissolves. Off heat, whisk in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter, then season with salt and pepper.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by davidblake51 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes