Stacked Caesar Salad with Parmesan Rafts
Notes: This salad is dramatic when made with whole inner romaine lettuce leaves (often sold as "romaine hearts"), but you can substitute 4 quarts bite-size pieces of romaine; in step 5, arrange the parmesan curls on top of the mixed salad. To make the curls, pull a vegetable peeler across the block of cheese.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 521
- Calories from fat: 67%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 39g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 1234mg
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- 1 sourdough baguette (about 2 in. wide; 8 to 12 oz.)
- About 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups finely shredded parmesan cheese (about 1/4 lb.)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 9 canned anchovy fillets, drained
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 quarts tender inner romaine lettuce leaves (max. 8 in. long, 1 1/3 lb. total; see notes), rinsed and crisped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese curls (each about 3 in. long and 1 in. wide, 3 oz. total; see notes)
- 1. To make parmesan rafts, cut baguette into diagonal slices 1/4 inch thick and 4 to 6 inches long. Lightly brush both sides of each slice with olive oil, using 3 to 4 tablespoons total. Arrange in a single layer in 2 shallow 12- by 17-inch baking pans.
- 2. Bake in a 325° regular or convection oven for 5 minutes. Sprinkle slices evenly with 1 cup shredded parmesan. Bake until cheese is melted and bread is golden, 10 to 12 minutes longer.
- 3. In a blender or food processor, whirl 9 tablespoons olive oil, 1/3 cup shredded parmesan, lemon juice, anchovies, garlic, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until smooth.
- 4. Place lettuce in a large bowl and parmesan rafts in another. Drizzle 2/3 of the dressing over lettuce and remaining 1/3 over rafts. Mix rafts to coat with dressing; with your hands or two spoons, gently lift and mix lettuce to coat.
- 5. Divide 1/3 of the lettuce equally among dinner plates, arranging all leaves on each plate in the same direction. Arrange 1/3 of the parmesan rafts equally on top, at right angles to leaves, and add 1/3 of the parmesan curls. Repeat to layer remaining lettuce, rafts, and curls. Season salads to taste with more salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note