- 1/2 large Vidalia onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Vegetable cooking spray
How to Make It
Sauté diced onion and minced garlic in hot oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat until tender. Add broth and half-and-half; bring to a boil. Gradually stir in grits and salt. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened.
Add cheese, pepper, and nutmeg; stir until cheese melts. Pour grits into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish; chill 8 hours.
Invert grits onto a flat surface; cut into 12 wedges. Spray top and bottom of each wedge with cooking spray; arrange wedges on a baking sheet.
Broil wedges 6 inches from heat 2 minutes on each side or until golden.