My family finished off this soup in one sitting, so I am sure I will make it again. I recommend adding Italian seasoning to the breadcrumbs for a more robust flavor, as well as using sea salt or Kosher salt. I would also add small chicken or turkey bits to turn this into a meal.
Squash Soup with Whole-Grain Croutons
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 224
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 502mg
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large butternut squash (about 3 lb.), peeled, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Toss bread with 2 Tbsp. oil and 1/2 tsp. salt, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake until crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
- 2. Warm remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in squash, chicken broth and 2 1/4 cups water, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer until squash is soft, about 25 minutes. Puree in batches in a blender and season with salt.
- 3. Ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle with croutons, and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews