This recipe takes time and is kind of putsy. But I liked it. Definately another use for a Sham Wow. Got lots of good compliments. No trouble with a good nonstick skillet with getting them to hold together.
Spaghetti Squash Fritters with Sriracha Mayonnaise
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
Yield: Serves 5 (serving size: 2 patties and about 2 teaspoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 55 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 19.6g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 228mg
- Calcium: 139mg
- 1 (2-pound) spaghetti squash
- 1 (8-ounce) package baby spinach
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 5 teaspoons canola mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds; discard. Place squash halves, cut sides up, in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave at HIGH 20 minutes or until tender. Let stand 10 minutes. Scrape inside of squash with a fork to remove spaghettilike strands to measure 4 cups.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach to pan; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Place squash and spinach on a clean dish towel; squeeze until barely moist. Coarsely chop squash mixture, and place in a large bowl. Add panko and next 4 ingredients (through baking powder), and toss well to combine. Place egg whites in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into squash mixture.
- 3. Fill a 1/4-cup dry measuring cup with squash mixture. Invert onto work surface; gently pat into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture, forming 10 patties total. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add 5 patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove patties from pan; keep warm. Repeat the procedure with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and squash patties.
- 4. Combine mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with fritters.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note