Squash and Chickpea Fritters with Winter Greens and Hazelnut Salad
These little cakes are a snap to make and, with the salad, create a great vegetarian entrée for fall.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 435
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 11g
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 9.7g
- Sodium: 454mg
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- 1/3 cup blanched hazelnuts
- 8 ounces cubed butternut squash
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 can (14 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzos), drained
- 1 arge egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups mixed winter greens such as radicchio and escarole
- 1 tablespoon tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Toast hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet until browned and fragrant, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 2. Put squash in a microwave-safe container with 1/4 cup water and cover with plastic wrap. Cook on high until squash is tender when pierced, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- 3. Pulse bread in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Add squash and chickpeas and pulse until slightly chunky. Add egg, flour, sage, salt, pepper, and chile flakes. Pulse just until blended.
- 4. Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Drop 1/4-cup portions of squash mixture into oil, making a few fritters at a time, and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a platter.
- 5. Toss greens with remaining 3 tbsp. oil, the lemon juice, and hazelnuts. Serve squash fritters with salad.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note