- 4 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups soft, fresh breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup crushed French fried onions
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. Cook yellow squash and sweet onion in boiling water to cover in a Dutch oven 8 minutes or just until vegetables are tender; drain squash mixture well.
Combine squash mixture, freshly shredded Cheddar cheese, next 5 ingredients, 1 cup breadcrumbs, and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
Stir together melted butter, French fried onions, and remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over squash mixture.
Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.