This was the best squash casserole I have ever fixed! The squash keeps it shape better than in casseroles where it is boiled, and I think it tastes better. I didn't have cornflakes on hand, so I used cheese cracker crumbs for the topping.
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lisa Powell Bailey
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 2 pounds yellow squash
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes cereal
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut squash into 1/2-inch rounds. Cook squash and next 3 ingredients in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 25 minutes or until tender. Drain well, reserving broth for another use; pat squash mixture dry with paper towels.
- 2. Stir together mushroom soup and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in squash mixture until blended. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish; sprinkle with crushed cornflakes.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles