- 2 1/2 pounds yellow squash, sliced*
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 10 round buttery crackers, crushed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
How to Make It
Cook squash, covered, in a small amount of boiling water 8 to 10 minutes or until tender; drain well, pressing between paper towels.
Combine squash and butter in a bowl; mash until butter melts. Stir in eggs and next 7 ingredients; spoon into a lightly greased shallow 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with crushed crackers.
Bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 more minutes or until cheese melts.
*2 1/2 pounds zucchini, sliced, may be substituted.