This is very good.. only change ... I added parm/mozzerlla instead of just mozzs. REALLY good and I think you could easily leave out the bacon or replace with light ham or canadian bacon to make it even more figure friendly
Summer Squash, Bacon, and Mozzarella Quiche
Fill this homemade pie crust with a mixture of summer squash, bacon and creamy mozzarella. It is hard to believe this decadent quiche recipe has less than 300 calories.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours, 40 Minutes
- Calories: 265
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 11.2g
- Carbohydrate: 22.4g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 556mg
- Calcium: 134mg
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup ice water
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (1/8-inch-thick) slices yellow squash
- 2 cups (1/8-inch-thick) slices zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor, and pulse 2 times or until combined. Add butter and shortening; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With food processor on, add ice water through food chute, processing just until the mixture is combined (do not form a ball). Press mixture into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap, and cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 3. Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp flat surface. Unwrap and place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Place dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can easily be removed. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap, and fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap from dough. Fold edges under, and flute. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with fork. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- 5. To prepare the filling, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add squash, zucchini, shallots, and thyme; saute for 5 minutes or until squash and zucchini are tender, stirring frequently. Cool the squash mixture slightly.
- 6. Combine 1 cup reduced-fat milk and the next 5 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Arrange squash mixture evenly over crust, and sprinkle with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Pour the egg mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until filling is set. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack.
- Wine Match: Loaded throughout with refreshing minerality and just enough of a sweet, smoky-heat flavor, the 2006 Hugel et Fils Pinot Blanc "Cuvée les Amours" (Alsace, France, $18) is an incredible match with this fresh and light Summer Squash, Bacon, and Mozzarella Quiche. --Alexander Spacher
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note