- 3 small yellow squash (about 10 oz.)
- 4 thick-cut bacon slices, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (29-oz.) can hominy, drained
- 4 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
How to Make It
Slice squash lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat 8 minutes or just until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet.
Sauté onion in hot drippings with olive oil over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in hominy, and sauté 5 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed. Add mushrooms, broth, and pepper; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms darken. Add squash; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in lemon rind and juice. Cook, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid thickens slightly. Remove from heat, and stir in parsley and bacon. Season with salt to taste.
Note: If preferred, omit bacon and add 2 Tbsp. olive oil in place of drippings.